E.D. Hirsch, Jr. believed in "cultural literacy", where simply knowing a common language does not make individuals literate, but the ability to comprehend the context of those words is also important. I do agree with that point. Hirsch, however, went further to communicate that Americans should have a common set of knowledge they should all know to be literate of one another. That is where Hirsch and I differ.
I do believe that a core set of knowledge needs to be taught in our schools to give all children the opportunity to succeed, and to help them find an area best suited for them that they would like to pursue in greater detail in their futures and their careers and hobbies. Given that, I don't think every American needs to be completely versed in each of these areas. There are plenty of classes I took in high school that I did well in then, but if I had to take a final exam for them today, the results would be very different. The breadth of knowledge, and not necessarily the depth, is what I believe to be important.
So, what do I think Americans should know?
Mathematics
- We should all have a basic understanding of math, with exposure to geometry and algebra. However, realistic applications of the knowledge, such as how to balance a checkbook or figuring out what the APR on your credit card it should be stressed.
Reading and Writing
- In this type of literacy, I am talking about the mechanics of reading and writing, and not the "contextual" aspect as Hirsch describes.
History/Geography/Political Science
- I believe all should have exposure to world history, the history of one's country, and the local history of one's area. This absolutely means that people living in different countries, and even different areas of the same country, might learn different materials.
Science
- An overview of physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, and earth science. Practical applications of this knowledge should be stressed. For example:
Physics - use of simple machines
Chemistry - why one shouldn't mix bathroom cleansers
Biology - human health
Astronomy - why we have seasons
Earth Science - environmentalism and taking care of the planet
Language
- A language other than one's primary language should be studied. Views into non-traditional languages, such as sign language, could be explored to better understand communication as a whole, and not just written and verbal communication.
Literature
- Common pieces of literature in the individual's main language from different time periods which are considered great works in that language. In addition, pieces from one's home country and/or local area should be studied.
Social Behavior
- Studying human behavior, such as how people think, speak, and interact, so that we understand that the way WE think and communicate is different from how others do so.
These are a basis for developing one's culture of literacy. It is not meant to be exclusive, but to start as a guide. In general, I believe in an "outside-in" approach. We should know about the world we live in, from the big picture, like different continents and countries, to the small picture, like the oldest building in our town or where certain road's names came from. The fact that we have the exact realm of cultural knowledge as someone else is not what is important. The ability to share our cultural knowledge and to listen to other's cultural knowledge is what truly makes us literate individuals.
No comments:
Post a Comment